January 6, 2019

3D printing and rockets!

Last December I acquired an Ender 3D, my first 3D printer ever. I assembled it without much trouble and I've been using it since then.

Good points:

  • Price (£199), for this value it was hard to resist. Other 3D printers with similar specs are around the 300-600 range...
  • There seems to be a great community around it, and it is easy to find 'mods' to improve the machine.
  • Assembly was easy and only took a morning.
Now the bad points:
  • Some of the pre-installed screws required some tightening as they were loose. 
  • The power supply wobbles a  lot when you (un)plug the power cord.
  • I noticed that the heated bed has warped a little bit making leveling it a bit harder.

Overall I would recommend this for any beginner or for someone that wants to get into this hobby without expending a lot of money.



I've been always interested in rocket science, and what best use for my printer that make my own rocket! As a starting point, I wanted to make something simple. So I came up with this design:

Made with OpenRocket
I designed the parts using Fusion360:







I'm almost done printing all of it. The remaining parts are a bracket to hold the parachute chord and the nose of the rocket. 



Bye! Nacho.